Wednesday, January 04, 2017

How to Have a Good Night's Sleep

It seems that every blog has a post on how to get a good night's sleep.  Most of them recommend not using screens any time close to bedtime, but sometimes that is the only time one has to get caught up on social media.  I love the Twilight app, but have found it works best on my Nook, not my phone.
Normally when I go to bed I catch up on instagram, then take my turn in any games of Words with Friends I have going, then I switch out my phone for a book and read a little bit.  If I am reading on my Nook I turn off the light and read, if I am reading a print book I keep the light on.
 Ultimately though, I don't have trouble falling asleep.  

My trouble with sleep is going back to sleep after I wake up sometime during the night, which I do 95% of the time.  I always toss and turn for awhile because I feel if I get up to watch or pull out my book to read then I am just giving up.  If I stay trying to sleep in a dark room then I will eventually fall back asleep, right?  Nope, I always need some help.  Here's what I do to fix this problem.

1.  Prevent the problem by TAKING SOMETHING.

I understand that not everyone wants to take something to help them sleep.  Like I said, I don't have trouble falling asleep, I have staying asleep (or going back to sleep).  I find that if I take something before I go to sleep then I don't wake up.  Here are my three favorite things to take:
I find that if I take 1 Nyquil or 1 Tylenol PM I am pretty good to sleep the whole night.  I also love Emergen-Zzzz, but only take half of one of those and it works good for me.  Scott loves Emergen-Zzzz, but he drinks a whole packet.  It comes in three flovers, Berry, Peach and Mellow Berry.  I like Peach the best but they are all good.

2.  Listen to Something.
I have found a podcast that will always put me to sleep: The News from Lake Wobegon. I feel bad saying that it always puts me to sleep, but Garrison Keillor's voice just soothes.  And I turn it down kind of low so that I need to kind of focus to hear him.  I think that's what finally puts me to sleep, the fact that I am focusing on the show and not on the fact that I can't sleep.

3.  Watch Something:
If I find myself awake at 2 or 3 I might get out of bed and watch something.  I put my feet up in the living room chair and use a heated throw to get cozy, then turn on the TV.  Normally I will watch for 20 minutes to a half hour then go back to bed.  It's just another way to get my mind off whatever it is that is not letting me sleep.

4.  Read Something.
This is one reason I have an ereader--to read books at night and not wake up Scott.  And with the Twilight app I feel that it helps me get back to sleep quicker.  I normally have an ebook I am reading and a print book so that I can read any which way.

These are the ways I go back to sleep if I wake up.  Sometimes I get in such a bad habit of waking up and not going back to sleep that I dread certain times of night.  Lately sleep has been good and I've been waking up feeling pretty refreshed.  Hope it continues.

Oh, and one of my New Year's goals is to stop saying, "I'm tired."  I want to shift my thinking!

What ways do you use to go back to sleep at night?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: