Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Tech For Moms: Watching Shows from Other Regions

Have you ever wanted to watch a show that is streaming on a foreign website?  Then gotten a message that the content is not available in your region?  For example, watching season 3 of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (kiss, dammit!!) that is only playing on the Australian station because it's still a current show in Australia.  It is actually possible and relatively easy to accomplish this.

What you need to do is set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network).  I use TunnelBear, mostly because it's cute, but it has worked well for me.  (I can't link to it because I am at school and it's blocked here).  VPN's hide whatever you are doing and many people say you should always use one.  I only use one for TV...

Anyway, download TunnelBear, you can use it on your laptop, desktop or tablet.  Set up your account, the website will walk you through everything.  When I as watching Miss Fisher, I had an account because it wouldn't access Australia servers without a little money.  Right now I am using it to watch the second season of Schitt's Creek on the CBC website (Melissa, this whole post is for you in case you were wondering), and it is free to connect to a Canadian server.

One thing I have had trouble with--I can't get it to work on my ipad.  It works pretty good on my laptop, but works best on our Chromebook.  That could mean I should use it with Chrome on my laptop, but I haven't tried that.  Because it does work on my Chromebook I haven't worked that hard to fix it on my laptop.

Anyway, one added benefit of this is that it opens up a TON of shows on Netflix.  Netflix thinks you are in a different country when you are connected to your VPN, so it opens its catalog from that country for you.  This is awesome because you can watch shows that aren't available on Netflix here!!

Good luck!

No comments: