Saturday, February 09, 2008

Huh, Never Thought of it That Way.

Scott and I were chatting the other night about our boys and I was commenting about how much Carter has matured this year. As an example I was telling him about how Carter gets annoyed by a few boys who pretend they are drunk at recess. The annoyance comes when they try to steal Carter's soccer ball (don't touch the ball--EVER). He thinks they are just acting so dumb.

I told Scott that I think if that was happening when Max was in fourth grade he would think they were hilarious and probably join them. Then Scott said to me "I would have." I asked if he meant that he would have thought they were funny or if he would have joined in and he said both.

So, as we kept talking about this we realized that at home and in many ways Max is exactly like me (temper anyone?), but school wise and doing the right things Carter is more like me. I am sure that Scott never got into much trouble (that was Mark's job) but there is a bit of Scott in Max also. I wouldn't have thought kids like that were funny at all. Also, we are always pretty sure that if/when Max gets into trouble he is pretty able to charm his way out of it, and Scott has/had that and he said that Mark has/had that also.

I, on the other hand, never tried charming my way out of anything. If I did get in trouble for something I would just accept the punishment and move on. As a matter of fact I only remember staying out late after curfew (and not calling home) ONE time, and that was after my freshman year in college. I think this is the part of me that Carter has.

So, what does this mean for the future of our children, I don't know. I hope Max has friends that are good influences on him. Scott did, and although he was wild (at times) with them, they protected him so that his talents weren't wasted. They were good friends to have and thankfully they all made it through high school fine.

Typing this made me realize one more thing. I didn't have a lot of friends. Not because I wasn't friendly (although some have called me stuck up and "intimidating (you know who you are)), but because once there was a separation between who was going to drink and party and who wasn't, there weren't a lot of people left over to be friends, and I was pretty okay being by myself at home reading and what not, until that one fateful evening in the summer after my sophomore year in high school when my mom told me to call up the girl from up the hill...the rest is history!! Right now Max doesn't have a lot of friends, and he is very okay with that. It is very interesting to see how our lives are coming out in our kids!

2 comments:

Renn said...

And because of that girl up the hill, you stayed out past your curfew the ONE time. Actually I don't remember if that one was my fault or not. Can you believe that was 20+ years ago?!?!? Talk about history...all I can say is, you're the best and I'm so glad you called!!!

jana said...

No, it wasn't your fault. It was Kurt Lindsay's and an awesome lightning storm's fault!