Friday, November 16, 2007

Rant

I am going to rant about the controversy surrounding the movie The Golden Compass. I have read all three books (for the record, they were very good, but hard to read--it has to be a pretty advanced child to read these and enjoy them (in grade school anyway)). I could tell reading the first one that the author had a beef against the "church" and the way the book describes it you will immediately think of the Catholic church. Of course, this book takes place in a parallel universe so there is no mention of catholicism or whatever. By the end of the last one I was pretty sure the author was an atheist, and after a little research I figured out that this was true. It sort of soured the books for me, but I did really enjoy them and would recommend them. Plus, they have lots of opportunities for discussion.

By all accounts I have heard that the religion part is basically taken out of the movies. So what's the problem. Do parents worry so much that they will not have the answers that their kids seek so they decide to totally shelter them from anything that will make them have questions? Remember that C.S. Lewis was once an atheist. Imagine if he was still known to be an atheist when he wrote The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. That book would be considered blasphemous for comparing the crucifixion of Christ to that of a lion. I just get so irritated by the people who are so against fantasy. It's just that, fantasy. It is for fun and to use your imagination. Relax people, look at it as entertainment, that's what most of this is meant to be.

Rant over.

1 comment:

Renn said...

I couldn't have said it better my friend! I got into a discussion with a person about this book/movie and all the Harry Potter books. Some people really need to pull their heads out of the sand and open up discussion with their kids, maybe this world would be a better place.